Pet Insurance

We are strong advocates for pet insurance at Dandenong Veterinary Hospital as we see the benefits and peace of mind it brings to our clients every day.

High quality veterinary medicine is expensive, and there is no subsidy or Medicare system, as we are accustomed to with our own healthcare. Human medicine standards-of-care are now available for our pets, but at full price. Pet insurance can bring this care within reach.

A fact stands that 80% of people with enrol for a pet insurance plan AFTER they have paid a veterinary bill greater than $800-1000. What a pity that bill was not covered, and if it arose as a medical or surgical problem, then it will likely now become a ‘pre-existing’ exclusion for which future insurance claims will not cover. Most procedures that involve admission of your pet (either surgical or as hospital in-patient) are likely to have a bill in excess of $800 as a general anaesthetic or a few days in hospital can really add up fast.

Pets are much loved family members, so when something goes wrong, it is not surprising to desire the best treatment possible. Without pet insurance, for some, the costs can play a big part in the ability to afford the diagnostic tests, surgical and medical care needed, and this is difficult for all involved. Pet insurance can take this worry away.

Remember that pet insurance, like any insurance, is not something that you should expect to get a return on every year, but rather pet insurance provides comfort that you can afford the very best treatment possible should the need arise. There are many pet insurance companies and policies available, and you will need to do some research to determine which is best for you. Please ask us for further information on pet insurance when you are next in.

When comparing pet insurance policies, compare VALUE, then COST. Substantially cheaper insurance policies will not provide an equivalent level of insurance cover. Know what you are buying when you balance the policy benefits against your chosen budget. Understand the EXCESS you will pay with every claim, or if your policy operates without an excess but splits the costs into brackets (ie, you pay 20%, insurance will pay the remaining 80%). Please ask us if you have any questions.

 

Digital Insurance Claims – no paperwork for 99% of claims!

Dandenong Veterinary Hospital has integrated our digital practice software in a way that allows most insurance claims to be easily submitted via our practice software!

That leaves you free not to worry about any paperwork!

We also offer GapOnly™

As a pet parent, when your fur baby gets sick or injured, the last thing you want to be worrying about is whether you can afford treatment. Innovating the pet insurance claims experience, GapOnly™ reviews and calculates your claim while you’re still at the vet. You simply pay the gap (the difference between the vet’s invoice and the pet insurance claim benefit under your policy) and go. For example, if you have a pet insurance policy with an 80% benefit cover and you get a $1,000 vet bill, your policy would provide $800 benefit cover if the claim is approved. Before GapOnly™, you would pay the full $1,000 bill upfront, and wait for the $800 benefit to be processed and returned over a few days. With GapOnly™, your claim is processed on the spot, and you simply pay the gap of $200 and go. It keeps the focus on the health of your pet, not the cost of treatment, with the added convenience of no paperwork, on-the-spot processing, and less out-of-pocket expense.

GapOnly™ compliant Insurance Providers are growing in number each year. Ask us, or your insurance company, about GapOnly™ Insurance providers.